Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu
Atlanta Immigration Lawyer > Chattanooga Non-Immigrant Visa Lawyer

Chattanooga Non-Immigrant Visa Lawyer

Tennessee Immigration Attorneys for Non-Immigrant Visa Assistance in Chattanooga

There are many different reasons that a person may need a visa to enter the United States even if she or he has no plans of immigrating to the United States or remaining here indefinitely. While many types of visas are designed for individuals who ultimately want to seek a Green Card (or to become a lawful permanent resident) and ultimately to apply for U.S. citizenship, there are also many different types of visas for people who are traveling to the United States to conduct business, to study, or to spend an extended vacation. If you have questions about applying for or renewing a nonimmigrant visa, an experienced Chattanooga non-immigrant visa lawyer at our firm can begin working with you today.

Common Types of Non-immigrant Visas in Chattanooga, Tennessee

While there are a wide variety of classifications of visas that a person ultimately might seek, there are three general kinds of nonimmigrant visas available. All of these visas are temporary in nature and are not designed to be extended indefinitely. Within each of these categories of visas, there are a number of specific types of visas, so it will be essential to work with an immigration attorney in Tennessee to determine which specific visa you (or your potential employee) will need to seek. These types of visas include:

  • Visitor or tourist visas;
  • Student or study visas; and
  • Employment visas.

Chattanooga Tourist or Visitor Visas

Before you seek a visitor or tourist visa to enter the United States, it is important to determine whether you actually need a visa. Travelers who visit the United States from certain countries are exempt, which means they do not need to obtain a visa in order to engage in temporary recreational activities. Indeed, the Visa Waiver Program allows citizens of specific participating countries to come to the United States for up to 90 days for purposes of tourism or short-term business without needing to get a visa. If you are a citizen on that long list of countries, you do not need a visa if you plan to stay for 90 days or less.

If you are a citizen of a country that does not participate in the Visa Waiver Program, you will likely apply for a B-1 visa (for temporary business) or a B-2 visa (for tourism). Sometimes people will apply for a combination visa. You cannot enter the U.S. on a B-1 or B-2 visa if you plan to do any of the following during your stay:

  • Study;
  • Be employed;
  • Get paid for performances or professional work;
  • Arrive as a crewmember on a plane or ship;
  • Work as a journalist or in the media; or
  • Plan to seek permanent residence in the U.S.

Student and Employment Visas

If you plan to enter the United States for more than 90 days, or if you plan to study or be employed in the U.S. during your stay, you will need to seek a student visa or an employment visa. There are a wide range of visas for purposes of studying and employment, and one of our immigration lawyers can work with you to ensure that you apply for the proper visa based on your needs.

Contact Our Non-immigrant Visa Attorneys in Chattanooga

If you have questions about obtaining a nonimmigrant visa, one of our Chattanooga non-immigrant visa lawyers can assist you. Contact Shirazi Immigration Law, Inc. today.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn