Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu
Atlanta Immigration Lawyer > Gainesville Immigration Lawyer

Gainesville Immigration Lawyer

Immigrating to the United States or resolving problems with your immigration status often involves meeting many requirements within a short deadline.  United States laws encourage immigration and give immigrants who have run into problems with their immigration status a chance to resolve the issue before the law orders deportation.  Being in danger of losing your visa or being uncertain whether your application for a green card or for U.S. citizenship can be stressful, since so much is at stake when you submit your paperwork.  Therefore, the Gainesville immigration lawyers at Shirazi Immigration Law, Inc. can help you maximize the chances of getting your application approved or avoiding deportation.

Applying for Naturalization and Becoming a U.S. Citizen

To apply for naturalization, you must already have a permanent resident card (green card).  Permanent residents who got their green cards through marriage to a U.S. citizen can apply for citizenship three years after the green card is issued.  All other permanent residents must wait five years after receiving a green card before they can apply for naturalization.

Permanent Residency and Green Cards

Almost everyone who gets U.S. permanent residency applies for it while inside the United States on some kind of non-immigrant visa, such as a visitor visa or refugee visa.  You do this by applying for adjustment of status, meaning that you are trying to adjust your immigration status to permanent resident.  You must remain in the United States while your green card application is pending.

Immigration Lawyer for Crime Victims and People in Vulnerable Situations

An immigration lawyer can help you if you have suffered violence or the threat thereof in the U.S. or if your physical safety would be in danger if the U.S. ordered you to return to your country of origin.  A Gainesville immigration lawyer can help with the following kinds of immigration cases:

  • Temporary Protected Status (TPS) for people from eligible countries
  • Refugee and asylum cases for survivors of persecution from any country
  • T visas and U visas for survivors of human trafficking and other crimes
  • Domestic violence cases where the crime victim obtained permanent residency through marriage to a U.S. citizen

Remember that even if you are undocumented or if your visa has expired, you have the right to have a lawyer represent you in family court or in immigration or criminal cases.

Residing in the United States for Work or Studies

You might also need a Gainesville immigration lawyer if you have a student visa or employment-based visa, or if you are applying for one of these visas.  Some of the categories of nonimmigrant employment-based visas are L-1, O-1, and HB-1; there are also EB-1 and EB-2 immigrant visas.  You can apply for your family to reside in the U.S. with you while you are working or studying here.

Employment Based Immigration Lawyers in Gainesville, Georgia

An immigration lawyer can help you apply for an immigrant or nonimmigrant visa or complete the process to become a United States citizen.  Contact Shirazi Immigration Law, Inc. at our offices in Atlanta, Georgia to represent you in your immigration or naturalization case.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn