Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu
Atlanta Immigration Lawyer > Gainesville BIA & Federal Court Litigation Lawyer

Gainesville BIA & Federal Court Litigation Lawyer

Getting an application for a green card, naturalization, or a nonimmigrant visa approved is a great feeling, but if United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) says no to your application, it does not mean game over.  You have the right to appeal negative decisions about your immigration case and to represent yourself in your appeal, but because the stakes are so high, including whether you can remain in the United States or must return to your original country of citizenship, it is best to hire an immigration lawyer.  To find out more about appealing a denial of an immigration application, contact the Gainesville BIA & federal court litigation lawyers at Shirazi Immigration Law, Inc.

Board of Immigration Appeals

If you get a negative decision on your petition for adjustment of status or other immigration matter, the logical next step is to appeal the decision with the Board of Immigration Appeals (BIA).  The BIA is an immigration-specific appeals court headquartered in Falls Church, Virginia, just outside Washington, D.C., but it hears appeals about immigration cases from all over the country.  These are some issues that the BIA can resolve:

  • Denial of adjustment of status
  • Rejected petitions for the family members of naturalized citizens, legal permanent residents, and holders of nonimmigrant visas
  • Proceedings for removal for deportation
  • Unexpected delays in the naturalization process

Having an immigration lawyer represent you when your case goes before the BIA is not a requirement, but it increases the chances of getting a successful outcome.

Administrative Appeals Office

If USCIS denies your application, another option that you have is to appeal the decision with the Administrative Appeals Office (AAO). An immigration lawyer can help you resolve any of these issues, among others, with the AAO:

  • Denial of applications for naturalization
  • Rejected EB-2 or EB-3 immigrant visas
  • Denied applications for Temporary Protected Status (TPS)

Appealing an Immigration Decision in Federal Court

If the BIA or AAO issues a decision that is not in your favor, you can bring your immigration case to the federal court.  The deadline for filing your appeal in federal court is 30 days from the date of the decision that you wish to appeal.  Your chances of success are much greater if you hire an immigration lawyer to gather, organize, and present all the information you need within such a short deadline.  From deportation proceedings to asylum cases, the federal courts may issue a decision that enables you to remain in the United States, either when other judicial bodies did not.

BIA and Federal Court Immigration Lawyers in Gainesville, Georgia

Even if you did not hire a lawyer when you first applied to immigrate to the United States or bring your family here, you need a lawyer if your immigration case runs into problems.  An immigration lawyer can help you get a decision in your favor if USCIS has previously rejected your application for citizenship or permanent residency.  Contact Shirazi Immigration Law, Inc. at our offices in Atlanta, Georgia to represent you in your naturalization case.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn