Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu
Atlanta Immigration Lawyer > Columbus Student Visa Lawyer

Columbus Student Visa Lawyer

If a citizen of another country wishes to enter the U.S, they must have a visa. For a temporary stay, an individual can get a non-immigrant visa. Unlike an immigrant visa, which allows you to enter the U.S. and stay permanently, a non-immigrant visa enables you to remain in the U.S. for a limited amount of time. Usually, how long you stay in the United States after getting a non-immigrant visa depends on the “visa status.”

One type of non-immigrant visa that you can apply for is a student visa. If you are not a United States citizen and want to study here, you need a student visa. For you to study in the U.S., you must get either an F-1 visa or an M-1 visa, depending on your course of study and the type of school you are going to be attending. According to the Department of State, to enter the U.S. and study in a high school, university or college, private elementary school, conservatory, or seminary, you need an F-1 visa. On the other hand, to enter the U.S. to attend a vocational institution, for instance, you need an M-1 visa. Our Columbus student visa lawyer can help you with any questions you have.

F-1 Visa Eligibility

F-1 visas are the most common type of student visas in the U.S. So, how do you become eligible for an F-1 visa? Before applying for this type of student visa, you must find a SEVP-approved school, apply to the school and get admitted. After getting accepted, you can apply for an F-1 visa.

For you to be eligible for an F-1 visa, there are other requirements you need to meet apart from finding an approved school, applying and getting accepted into the school. Below are some of the other requirements for an F-1 visa:

  • Be enrolled at the institution as a full-time student.
  • Prove that you have enough money to enable you to go to school and take care of your expenses while in the U.S.
  • Be proficient in English or be enrolled in a course that will help you become proficient in English.
  • Be residing outside the U.S. when applying.
  • Prove that you will go back to your home country after finishing your studies in the U.S.

Applying for an F-1 Visa

The F-1 visa application process consists of several steps. Because the steps may vary depending on the Embassy or Consulate, it is crucial that you check the instructions on the embassy or consulate website where you intend to apply. Nevertheless, when applying for an F-1 visa, you will need to complete the Form DS-160 (Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application).

F-2 Visa

If you have plans of applying for an F-1 visa, you should know that, if you have a dependent, for example, a spouse or an unmarried child under the age of 21, you are allowed to bring them with you to the U.S. You can do this with an F-2 visa.

It is crucial to note that the F-2 status is directly related to the F-1 status. This means that when you seize being an F-1 student, your loved one will lose their F-2 status.

Contact Shirazi Immigration Law for Legal Help

If you are interested in pursuing your studies in America but are in another country, the experienced Columbus non-immigrant visa lawyers at Shirazi Immigration Law, Inc. can help you apply for an F-1 visa or an M-1 visa. Contact us today to schedule a consultation.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn