Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu
Atlanta Immigration Lawyer > Columbus Temporary Protected Status Lawyer

Columbus Temporary Protected Status Lawyer

If conditions of a foreign country prevent the country’s nationals from returning safely, the United States of America may designate the foreign country Temporary Protected Status (TPS). The Secretary of Homeland Security may designate a country for TPS due to the following reasons, among others:

  • Ongoing war
  • Environmental disaster
  • Other extraordinary and temporary conditions

If a person is a TPS beneficiary or eligible for TPS, they cannot be removed from the U.S. A TPS beneficiary or someone who qualifies for TPS can even get an employment authorization document (EAD). Additionally, if you are a TPS beneficiary or eligible for TPS, the DHS cannot detain you on the basis of your immigration status. Our Columbus temporary protected status lawyer can help you navigate all immigration processes.

Countries Designated for TPS

The following are the countries that are currently designated for Temporary Protected Status (the list changes with time);

  • Burma
  • Haiti
  • El Salvador
  • Honduras
  • Nicaragua
  • Sudan
  • Nepal
  • Somalia
  • South Sudan
  • Yemen
  • Venezuela
  • Syria

I-821, Application for Temporary Protected Status

Eligible individuals can file for TPS by filing Form I-821, Application for Temporary Protected Status. If you are eligible for TPS, you may file this form online. Be very keen when filing your Form I-821. Ensure you fill all sections of the form because your form will be rejected if any necessary information is missing. Also, the USCIS cannot accept an unsigned form, so make sure you sign your Form I-821.

Maintaining TPS

To maintain TPS benefits after being granted TPS, you are required to re-register during every re-registration period. If you wish to re-register for TPS, you need to fill and submit Form I-821.

Late Initial Filing and Late Re-registration

One of the requirements you need to meet to be eligible for TPS is filing your Form I-821 once the registration is open or during the re-registration window. The USCIS makes it very clear that it may only accept a late initial application if you meet the set requirements during any of your nation’s TPS designation. For example, if one of the following conditions existed during the initial registration period for the most recent designation of your country, you may be eligible to file for TPS for the first time even if the registration period has closed. These conditions include;

  • You were a parolee
  • You had a pending request for re-parole
  • You had an application for voluntary relief, adjustment of status, change of status, or any pending application, which was subject to an appeal or further review.

A late re-registration application may be accepted if you have good cause for filing late.

I-765, Request for Employment Authorization

When filing the TPS application, whether during the initial or re-registration period, you are allowed to also apply for an employment authorization document. An EAD allows you to work in the United States of America. To request an EAD, you need to file Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization, and it is advisable that you file this form together with your Form I-821. Doing so can help you receive your EAD within a short time.

Call a Columbus Temporary Protected Status Lawyer

TPS may not grant you lawful permanent residence or another immigration status but being granted TPS comes with many benefits. If you need help with your initial TPS application or re-applying for TPS, call an experienced Temporary Protected Status lawyer in Columbus at Shirazi Immigration Law at 404-523-3611.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn