Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu
Atlanta Immigration Lawyer > Dalton Family Immigration Lawyer

Dalton Family Immigration Lawyer

Immigration has never been straightforward in the U.S. Unfortunately, with the current hostile political climate toward immigrants, immigration has never been more complicated than it is today. One of the most successful avenues for legal immigration is to be sponsored by a family member who is currently a legal permanent resident of the U.S., or is a U.S. citizen. Here at Shirazi Immigration Law, Inc., our Dalton family immigration lawyers can help make this a reality by navigating through the seemingly endless bureaucracy that stands in your way, and applying legal pressure when needed.

Procedure for Family Based Immigration

America’s strength lies in its immigrants. According to the Pew Research Center, 13.7 percent of the U.S. population is made up of immigrants. There are numerous methods of obtaining legal citizenship or residency. However, 65 percent of all legal immigrants use one method—family based immigration, according to the National Immigration Forum. If you wish to sponsor a family member (or vice versa), the following must be true:

  • The sponsor is a citizen or lawful permanent resident of the U.S.;
  • The sponsor earns at least 125% of the U.S. poverty level; and
  • The sponsor is related to the immigrant candidate.

There are various preference categories based on the relationship between the immigrant candidate and the sponsoring family member. Each year, there are an unlimited number of visas granted for family members who are parents, spouses, and unmarried children below the age of 21. There are fewer of the each descending preference categories available each year:

  1. Unmarried adult child (of a U.S. citizen) above the age of 21;
  2. Spouses of lawful permanent residents, as well as the spouse’s unmarried children of any age;
  3. Married children of U.S. citizens; and
  4. Siblings of adult U.S. citizens.

K Visas

Another method of entering, living, and working in the United States is to apply for a K visa, and then seek lawful permanent resident status at a later date.

  • K-1 Vias—A K-1 visa enables the fiancé(e) of a U.S. citizen to come to the United States and marry a U.S. citizen within 90 days of entering the country.
  • K-2 Visa—If their parent (who is a fiance of a U.S. citizen) qualifies for a K-1 visa, their children can seek a K-2 visa.
  • K-3 Visa—These visas are used by the spouse of a U.S. citizen.
  • K-4 Visa—Used by children of a parent who has qualified for a K-3 visa.

Call a Dalton Family Immigration Lawyer Today

When it comes to the laws regulating family based immigration, nothing is concrete; what was a well-established rule a month ago may no longer apply today. You need to work with an attorney who is up to date, and specializes in immigration law. Here at the Shirazi Immigration Law, Inc., our Dalton family immigration lawyers will fight to protect your rights, and the rights of your loved ones. Contact us today at 404-523-3611 to schedule a consultation.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn