Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu
Atlanta Immigration Lawyer > Moultrie Family Immigration Lawyer

Moultrie Family Immigration Lawyer

Those who already have family living in the United States have an easier road to a green card than others. With the sponsorship of a U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident, a foreign national may be allowed expedited status. Among the factors that will help you when you are applying for U.S. citizenship, having a spouse, parents, or adult children who live in the U.S. will increase the probability you will get your green card more quickly. The Moultrie family immigration lawyers at Shirazi Immigration Law, Inc. will advocate on behalf of you or your family member and help them obtain legal resident status.

Submitting an application on behalf of a relative

To sponsor your family member’s application, you will need to fill out a Form I-130, the Petition for an Alien Relative. As a sponsor, you must:

  • Be a citizen or a lawful permanent resident of the United States
  • Earn more than 125% of the federal poverty level
  • Be related to the individual you are sponsoring

Dealing with the federal government can be confusing and intimidating. Shirazi Law specializes in handling these matters for our clients and ensuring that the process of immigrating to the United States is as painless as possible.

Preference categories for U.S. immigration

Those who are immediate relatives of U.S. citizens have special rights and are given top preference. Immediate relatives include spouses, parents, and children under the age of 21. All other preference categories are listed below.

  • First preference – Unmarried adult children of U.S. citizens over the age of 21.
  • Second preference – Spouses and unmarried children (any age) of lawful permanent residents.
  • Third preference – Married sons and daughters of U.S. citizens.
  • Fourth preference – Siblings of U.S. citizens.

Regardless of your relationship to your relative, Shirazi’s immigration lawyers can help your family member come to the United States legally. For more information on how preference categories will impact your immigration application, don’t hesitate to call our office.

K Visas

K visas allow foreign relatives to live and work in the United States without obtaining green card status so long as they have a spouse or parent who is a U.S. citizen. The children must be unmarried and under the age of 21 to qualify for a K Visa. The spouse can use a K-3 visa to live and work in the United States until their green card is processed. The children are given K-4 visas.

K-1 and K-2 Visas

Also known as “fiance visas”, K-1 visas allow an individual to enter the United States to be married to a U.S. citizen. So long as the marriage occurs within 90 days of arrival, the visa remains conditionally valid for a lawful permanent resident. Children of the spouse are given K-2 visas. The spouse may apply for a work permit as well.

K-3 and K-4 Visas

These visas are given to spouses of U.S. citizens who are foreign nationals. The citizen may sponsor their spouse for expedited status. The spouse is allowed to legally reside in the U.S. while they are awaiting their green card application. Children of K-3 spouses are given K-4 visas. Those with K-3 and K-4 visas are allowed to work in the U.S. while waiting on their green card application.

LIFE Act and Amendments

Those waiting for their applications to process may be entitled to nonimmigrant visas that are issued on a temporary basis. These visas are usually issued to tourists or seasonal workers who live most of the time in another country. They can also be used, on a temporary basis, to reunite family members who have been separated while awaiting immigration delays. Applicants can apply for a temporary visa which remains in effect until their green card application has been processed.

Talk to a Moultrie, GA Family Immigration Lawyer

Shirazi Immigration Law, Inc represents the interests of immigrants looking to come to the United States and remain here as legal permanent residents. For any questions concerning family immigration, please don’t hesitate to call us and discuss any matters of concern.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn