Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu
Atlanta Immigration Lawyer > Savannah Family Immigration Lawyer

Savannah Family Immigration Lawyer

National borders should not keep family members apart. That is a key value here at Shirazi Immigration Law. Fortunately, there are different ways to obtain permission for loved ones to come and live in the U.S., with family-based sponsorship being the primary one. If you want to sponsor a family member, please contact us today. Our Savannah family immigration lawyer will review your options and help you understand the likelihood of obtaining a visa.

Sponsoring a Family Member

Citizens or legal permanent residents can start the process by completing and submitting, Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative. The following must be true to qualify:

  • The sponsor is a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident (green card holder).
  • The sponsor is related to the person(s) named in the application.
  • The sponsor earns enough money—at least 125% of the federal poverty level.

If you are sponsoring a relative, you must realize that approval is not automatic. Instead, you might need to pull together significant paperwork, some of which (such as birth certificates) could be located in a different country.

Family Member Preference Categories

The U.S. limits the numbers of relatives admitted into the country each year, and to that end has created “preference” categories. However, there is also an unlimited category, meaning an unlimited number of these people can come:

  • An immediate relative of a U.S. citizen—spouse, parents, or unmarried children below age 21.
  • First preference. Unmarried children over age 21 years of age whose parent is a U.S. citizen.
  • Second preference. The spouses and unmarried children (any age) of lawful permanent residents.
  • Third preference. A citizen’s married children.
  • Fourth preference. An adult citizen’s siblings.

Speak with a Savannah family immigration lawyer today to review the likelihood that you or a family member will obtain a visa. Immigration law is always subject to the politics of the moment, and the number of immigrants admitted can vary by year.

K Visas: Spouses and Children

Immigration law allows a citizen’s spouse and unmarried children to come to the U.S. on a K visa and stay until they become green card holders. Once in the U.S., they will need to adjust their immigration status, and any delay could result in deportation if their K visa expires. The following visas are available:

  • K-1 visa. This is the visa for those coming to the U.S. to marry their fiancé. It grants only conditional permanent residence, and you must marry within 90 days of arrival.
  • K-2 visa. The dependent children of a K-1 visa holder can come along on this status.
  • K-3 visa. You can request this visa if you have married a U.S. citizen who files a Form I-130 to sponsor you.
  • K-4 visa. Any unmarried child under age 21 of a U.S. citizen can seek this visa. A child of a foreign national eligible for a K-3 visa may also obtain a K-4 visa.

Foreign National Spouse

Another option for bringing a spouse to the U.S. is to apply for a Foreign National Spouse Immigrant Visa. This visa is like the K-3 visa. If granted, a spouse can come to the U.S. However, unlike the K-3, the spouse does not need to adjust their status once in the U.S. Instead, they should be admitted as a lawful permanent resident and receive their green card in a few weeks.

Talk with a Savannah Family Immigration Lawyer

Many people are overwhelmed about how to bring loved ones to the U.S. We can complete all paperwork, collect supporting documentation, and shepherd you and your family members through the process.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn