Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu
Atlanta Immigration Lawyer > Savannah Non-Immigrant Visa Lawyer

Savannah Non-Immigrant Visa Lawyer

Not everyone who comes to the United States seeks to live here permanently. Nevertheless, they still need a non-immigrant visa to temporarily enter the U.S. and remain here legally for the duration of their stay. Failure to obtain a non-immigrant visa has many negative consequences, including a bar on your ability to live in the U.S. in the future.

There are many non-immigrant visas, and our Savannah immigration visa lawyer looks at some of the more important below. Please call Shirazi Immigration Law if you are seeking permission to enter the United States and need help.

Visitor Visas

There are many ways to enter the United States as a temporary visitor:

  • Visa Waiver Program. Some foreign nationals will not need a visa to come to the U.S. if they are citizens of certain countries that participate in this program. Instead, they can come to the U.S. for business or pleasure for up to 90 days. Some citizens are ineligible because of criminal convictions or for other reasons, but it is a great program for those who qualify.
  • B-1 Visa. This is a business visa. You can obtain this visa to perform certain business activities in the United States, such as perform as an artist, musician or athlete, or to engage in business meetings. A B-1 visa allows someone to stay for a certain amount of time, with one year as the maximum.
  • B-2 Visa. This is a tourist visa for those coming for personal or recreational reasons. Someone seeking medical treatment can also get a B-2 visa. Like a B-1 visa, it allows a person to stay for up to a year.

Student Visas

The United States is world-famous for its secondary schools, colleges, and universities. If you want to pursue an education here, you will need a student visa. The most common student visa is the F-1 visa, but you can request M-1 status if you are applying for a vocation school.

Before you can obtain a visa, you first need to apply and be accepted by a school which is approved by USCIS. You also must convince the consulate that you have the financial resources to take care of yourself while in the country. Typically, you will need to provide proof of financial resources in the form of bank statements or documentation from a relative who will support you.

If you are married and/or have children, your loved ones can seek F-2 status, which will allow them to join you here in the States. Children must be under 21 and unmarried. Remember that F-2 status depends on you maintaining your F-1 visa, so once that lapses, your children and spouse will need to leave the U.S. with you.

Other Visas

Other visas are available for those seeking temporary entry into the U.S.:

  • J-1 Visa. This visa is offered to promote educational or cultural exchange and the sharing of arts and science knowledge. A J-1 visa does not allow a person to work, though they can receive on-the-job training.
  • V Visas. If your spouse or parent is a legal permanent resident, you might apply for this visa if you have waited three years for approval. Children must be under age 21 and unmarried. This visa is valid up to two years; however, it is only available if your petition was filed before December 22, 2000.
  • K-3 and K-4 Visas. Spouses and children of U.S. citizens can seek a K visa if the citizen files a petition on their behalf. This visa is valid for a maximum of two years.
  • Q-1 Visa. The United States promotes cultural exchange with the Q-1 visa, which allows the recipient to come and share information with audiences about the history, politics, and culture of their home country. You must be at least 18 years of age.

Are You Interested in Visiting the United States? Contact Us

Many unforeseen hurdles slow down the visa process, even for those who intend to stay only briefly. Please contact our firm to speak with a Savannah non-immigrant visa lawyer today.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn