Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu
Atlanta Immigration Lawyer > Blog > Family Immigration > What Evidence of Financial Ability is Needed for an F-1 or M-1 Student Visa in the USA?

What Evidence of Financial Ability is Needed for an F-1 or M-1 Student Visa in the USA?


It is expected that if you are applying for either an F-1 or M-1 student visa, you have the financial resources to reside in and take up your studies in the United States. What does this mean? It means that you must be able to pay for your living expenses, your travel, as well as your school supplies like books in addition to your school’s tuition. When you apply for your student visa, you must bring what is called evidence of financial ability. This is proof that you have the funds, either yourself or through a sponsor, to cover these school and residence-related costs.

Coming to the United States to study may be your dream, and it can be an especially exciting time if you have been accepted to your preferred higher education institution. But, getting to the United States can be a complicated matter, and one of the things that you will need is financial stability.

If you would like to learn more about what is involved with obtaining a student visa, you are welcome to reach out and connect with an Atlanta nonimmigrant visa lawyer at Shirazi Immigration Law, Inc.

Financial Resources For a Student Visa in the U.S. 

Before you are able to be issued your Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status, when applying for a student visa in the U.S., and when you are entering the country at a port of entry, you must show evidence of your financial ability. The information you provide should be able to show that either you or someone else who is sponsoring you has the financial means to cover your costs while you are staying and studying in the U.S.

Some of the most common types of evidence that you can use to prove your financial ability include:

  • Documentation of your sponsor.
  • Financial aid letters.
  • Any scholarship letters you may have.
  • Family bank accounts.
  • A letter from your employer confirming your salary.

Immigrant students are not eligible for U.S. government-funded school aid; however, if you need help with financial resources to attend school in the U.S., there are some schools that do offer scholarships or financial aid to international students. To learn more about potential sources of financial aid that may be available to you, you can do any of the following:

  • Contact the student financial aid office of the school that you were accepted to inquire about aid opportunities that you may qualify for and for more information on how to go about obtaining these resources.
  • EducationUSA provides assistance and resources to international students that can help them identify ways to secure finances for their studies.
  • Speak to your immigration attorney. Your attorney could provide guidance on what to do and where to look to get the financial assistance you need.

Speak to a Nonimmigrant Visa Attorney Today 

There are several esteemed and highly accredited institutions of higher education that you can benefit from here in the United States. Being accepted to a school and paying for it are two of the biggest hurdles to overcome. Whether you have a sponsor, have the means to pay for your expenses, or have financial aid, you will have to demonstrate your financial ability.

For a consultation to discuss your needs and case, please call Shirazi Immigration Law, Inc. today at 404-523-3611. One of our Atlanta, GA, immigration lawyers is here for you and ready to help.

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn