Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu
Atlanta Immigration Lawyer > Blog > Employment Based Immigration > Do Immigrants Pay Taxes In The United States?

Do Immigrants Pay Taxes In The United States?


As a United States citizen, you will be issued a Social Security Number (SSN). If you are an eligible resident of the country, you may also be assigned a SSN after successfully applying for one. The SSN identifies each citizen and qualified resident through a nine-digit number, and it is helpful for a variety of reasons. It can be used to take out loans or lines of credit, help one keep track of and obtain certain government benefits, and much more. It is also used to help individuals inside the country legally file their yearly taxes.

Tax day is probably the most stressful and dreaded “holiday” in America. Ensuring that all paperwork is filled out correctly and that everything is up-to-date is essential so that there are no knocks on the door from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and to avoid any ensuing repercussions. If you are in the country and earning money but not eligible for a SSN, this does not mean that you get out of paying your taxes. You are still expected to pay your share even if you are an undocumented immigrant. But you would not be alone if you wonder how you are able to do this without an SSN.

For all questions related to United States immigration and asylum, you are welcome and encouraged to reach out to an experienced attorney. In Georgia, the Atlanta employment-based immigration attorneys at Shirazi Immigration Law, Inc. offer answers and comprehensive support.

How Do Immigrants in the U.S. Pay Taxes Without a SSN? 

Without a valid SSN, the IRS can issue what is called the Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN). This can be used for tax purposes. Immigrants who cannot obtain a SSN can stay current with their taxes by obtaining an ITIN and using this to make payments.

Both individuals that are legally residing in the United States and those who are not that cannot obtain an SSN can instead be given an ITIN by the IRS. So if you are here from another country as a student, a dependent of a lawful permanent resident, a spouse of a foreign national who has a temporary visa, and you do not qualify for a SSN, you may be able to get your unique ITIN.

The ITIN is the way that lawful and unlawful individuals in the country can pay their taxes. What it does not do, though, is show that these individuals are legal immigrants or show work authorization. Despite the ITIN looking similar to the SSN and the two identifiers having the same format, these numbers are not the same.

Speak to an Atlanta Immigration Attorney Today 

For resources, information, and assistance with all of your immigration needs, the Atlanta immigration lawyers at Shirazi Immigration Law, Inc. are here for you and prepared to be right by your side throughout your immigration journey. For a consultation to discuss your needs and case, please call Shirazi Immigration Law, Inc. today at 404-523-3611 for the Atlanta office, 229-520-8875  for our office in Moultrie and (706) 622-3313 for our office in Dalton.



Facebook Twitter LinkedIn